Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite cores

To: k3lr@k3lr.com, k4to@arrl.net, "'kj6y--- via TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite cores
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 21:32:35 -0700

On 10/8/2018 8:01 PM, Tim Duffy wrote:
DX Engineering has nicely color coded ferrite - #31 1.4" OD.

The problem with color codes is that you need a lookup
table to decode them.  And you need to mark the vendor
so that you know whose table to use.  When I see a color
coded core I think Micrometals, not Fair Rite.

I prefer to mark cores with white-out pens so I
can write whatever text I want such as F/R 33, etc.
It is also possible to wrap the core with white
electrical tape and write on it with a sharpie or ball
point pen.  A 3rd alternate is to use a P-touch labeller.

Rick N6RK