Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR interaction with 40m beam

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR interaction with 40m beam
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 08:28:16 -0400

On 2018-10-25 11:33 PM, W7ZZ wrote:

If you make them 90 degrees to one another, then the boom of the
Steppir could well interact with a 40 meter beam.

The boom of the SteppIR will *not* interact with a 40 meter antenna.
The SteppIR is only 1/4 wave on 40 meters and is *NOT* resonant.  In
order to couple to a yagi, an element needs to be close to 1/2 wave
long (+/- 20% or so - not - 50%)!

Take a little time to model a 1/4 wave element parallel to a 1/2 wave
element and look at the current in the 1//4 wave element - you will
find it to be zero or very close to it.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV