Re: [TowerTalk] Re # Coax Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re # Coax Connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 11:11:52 -0700
On 10/30/2018 9:38 AM, WK1W-Ivan Shapiro wrote:
Many PL259s have not been problematic for me. Good I/O
I recommend W6LGs youtube video:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AgFum5K7bw

I don't have time to watch the video, but I've done my own measurements and found that loss is negligible to at least 200 MHz -- IF you're using good connectors. I measured 1400 ft of Commscope similar to (but better than) LMR400 in 100 ft lengths that I had made up for a DXpedition. I had installed soldered Amphenol 83-1SP connectors and spliced them for the measurement with Amphenol barrels. Using an HP generator and HP spectrum analyzer, the loss I measured up to 200 MHz was less than the spec for the coax itself.

My definition of a good connector is one that either says Amphenol or has a MIL part number stamped into it. If I lived on another continent, I might include other manufacturers.

73, Jim K9YC