Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Controllers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Controllers
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:17:09 -0800
On 12/18/18 1:30 PM, Charles Gallo wrote:
On Tue, December 18, 2018 3:25 pm, Wilson  Lamb wrote:
All that big rotator stuff is more work than I would do.
However, If I were doing it and had long runs I'd look into using 120V for
the long runs, with appropriate transformers at the ends. I can even
imagine using one run to a tower and then relays to distribute it to
various rotators. Overcoming cable drop by increasing gauge gets expensive
quickly. I HAVE used long low voltage runs for other purposes.
In those cases I used a power supply with plenty of headroom and remote
sensing. It worked well and assured proper voltage at the remote device
under all operating conditions (of current requirement) WL
<snip>

I've always thought that the future of rotors was that we feed power up
the tower, and use say TCP/IP to the rotor, and put the brains up there.
Before Phillips co-opted the Zigbee standard, I thought that Zigbee would
be a good way to get the command up the tower

I mean, at how low the prices are for embedded controllers (face it, a
ATMega - the chip in a Uno is under $2) Wouldn't it just be nice to
calibrate the rotor once, then be able to tell it "Hey, turn  315 degs",
and it does it, no muss, no fuss

WiFi is your friend - it's already setup for networks

There's arduino, Rpi, and Beagle.

If the ARRL really wanted to be proactive with the hobby, they should get
together with RSGB and JARL (and the others) and promulgate a standard for
TCP/IP control of devices

"Hey, rotor, do this", hey amp, do that, hey antenna switch, do the other"
Do the Mfgs HAVE to follow it?  Nope.  But I'd bet if the ARRL/JARL and
RSGB all got together and agreed on a standard, you'd see some falling in
line

I totally agree..

I propose that it use ascii strings that are human readable. Probably the cleanest way is to implement a simple webserver that supports compact URL strings, but also does a decent UI. That's what my WiFi smoker temperature controller does. You can either use the "web form" interface from any browser, or you can send properly formatted URL strings to it.

There is a cost issue - hams are perceived as being exceedingly cheap - Let's say the "parts cost" for your wireless rotator interface is $10 - that turns into $50 or $100 at retail - My smoker controller is a $250 item, and that's without the "power amplifier" to interface to the smoker heat control.

I'll bet there's a lot more smoker controller buyers than ham rotor buyers.

You'll get abused on eham, etc. and people will talk about all the great things they can do cheaper with this box they got at a hamfest in 1975 with just a bit of modification, and since they got 1000 ft of multiconductor cable at a surplus auction, ...you get the picture.