Re: [TowerTalk] The things you see in the woods-antenna related

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The things you see in the woods-antenna related
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 07:32:26 -0500
Mike, good work!

You were not the only thing prowling the woods and playing with
wires yesterday. I ventured off to repair Beverages that came down
in a recent storm. Repair may be too strong a word. These reversible
Beverages have a break-away feature at each end so that if a tree
falls on the wire it simply unplugs from one or both end boxes and
drops to the ground. Repair involves walking each Beverage, cutting
away any trees or branches that are over the wire, then reattaching
the ends with a new break-away link. I estimate on a repair mission
such as this where all four are down I walk about a mile through
snow and rough terrain. At least last summer I finally got them
rebuilt such that I don't need to carry a ladder with me on these
operations! That was getting really old after 14 years.

I was able to get three back in operation. Apparently the east-west
one had been down earlier than the others and I didn't realize it.
It had to have been down prior to the last high water at the little
stream, because about 60 feet of it is now under a 3 inch thick
sheet of ice that is (mostly) suspended high and dry above ground in
the area that flooded. There are remains of a dead tree frozen in
the ice on top of the wire near one end of that section. I spent
about an hour and a half shoveling snow off the ice, breaking the
ice with a 16 pound ice bar, and then using a hammer to chip ice
chunks off the recovered wire. During this time I made about 8 feet
of progress. By the way, it's mildly interesting busting up a sheet
of ice suspended high and dry that you also happen to be standing
on. :-)

At that point I was about to lose light and was too tired to
continue, so I stopped for the day. I am honestly not sure this
recovery effort is worthwhile. Although replacing the wire and
attaching new end connectors in a water tight way (it is WD-1A wire
with some steel strands, so water must be kept out!) is a
challenging job in mid winter, it would probably be less work than
retrieving the existing wire from under the ice. In another spot
this wire has had an encounter with something, probably a deer, that
thought this just might be good to chew on. It's not chewed in two,
but the insulation is damaged to the point it will have to be
replaced soon anyway.

I'll probably just forget it until Spring. It's not like I've been
using them much, as I am too busy playing on 2200 meters to get on
160, 80, 40.

I've got other projects on my hands. Yesterday morning at dawn I had
a fire in the 2200m loading coil assembly:

http://www.n1bug.com/vario-fail-0-1200.jpg

http://www.n1bug.com/vario-fail-1-1200.jpg

http://www.n1bug.com/vario-fail-2-1200.jpg

I guess I (barely, since this was a minor fire that I caught early)
passed another rite of initiation, since there are but two kinds of
LF operators: those who *have* started a fire and those who *will*.
;-) No doubt I'll manage a higher order event next time! Onward and
upward! LF = "Let's Fire!"

73,
Paul N1BUG
aka 'Square One Enterprises' to my friends
(because I have a tendency to end up back at square one)