Re: [TowerTalk] More on Half-Wave

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More on Half-Wave
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:44:56 -0500
The thread took on a new terrain modeling life but I saw no indication
that you lived on a mountain top. There is essentially no radiation
difference between mounting your 40m beam at 63 or 67 ft. I would not try
to make a tower section out of a mast so I would mount the antenna near
the top of the tower and use a short mast. It will work fine for domestic
and DX.

GL,
John KK9A

Warren Wolff W7WY wrote:

Greetings again,    Thanks mucho for all the attention my query produced.
 I guess I could have elaborated, just a bit.  I am "stuck"with this 60
foot AN Wireless tower which is lying on its side - - - and has been for
longer than I should say.  Iwas just curious about high I should opt for
above the top of the tower at 60 feet for the OptioBeam.  Looks like ~63
feet will be just fine.   Since I am ancient in age, I do not want to
invite any difficulties by going too high above.   Just getting my antenna
mounted is going to be a problem,as I think cranes in our local area might
be tested just raising this thing.   The guys I located and who want to
assist in the raising want to raise the tower a bit, AND THEN, stick the
antenna on before going all the way vertical.  I am nervous.   Plus I have
not been able to find any one with photos ofhow to ground the coax to the
top of the tower, which is  angle iron at the top.   Again, muchas
gracias!

Warren W7WY