Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals on a Hill

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals on a Hill
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 09:59:21 -0700
Bill, I agree with your analysis and like you I wish there was a program like
HFTA out there that could handle a vertical radiator.
My remote QTH is on a gently sloping hill in all direction and is about 100m
above the surrounding farmland.

Here is a very rudimentary and non-scientific powerpoint which includes a copy
of the “vertical over sloping terrain analysis” from ON4UN’s book.  I don't
know where he got this analysis or who did it.  Does anyone know??

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UP45c5MWaWvA0T9no4DHW060FSgC-3Pk/view?usp=sharing

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UP45c5MWaWvA0T9no4DHW060FSgC-3Pk/view?usp=sharing>

This analysis of an 80m vertical over sloping ground certainly shows that a
significant low-angle gain benefit of up to 11dB over a flat terrain vertical.
I include a comparison to other plots from Johns book showing how a vertical
over saltwater shows a similar outstanding low-angle response, which we have
all heard in action from various well place DX-peds on the saltwater.  I
extrapolate this to 160m.

I can only assume that building a HFTA like program for a vertical is a bit
more complex than a horizontal radiator.

73, de steve ve6wz.