[TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Tougher antenna rope

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Tougher antenna rope
From: Don <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 13:36:39 -0800
Hi Pete,

One hams experiences of many which I'm sure you will receive.

I live on the OR coast (literally) and my towers and wire antennas are subject to winds that reach up into the 70's and 80's during the winter. I have single wires up for 40, 80 and 160 as well as a horizontal fan dipole for 40/80/160 (an experiment I'm playing with). I've used a lot of different ropes during the 60 plus years of hamming and playing with wire antennas.

I keep going back to where to I can procure rope that is designed for UV, salt spray, rot and wet weather AND which has good breaking strength, plus easy to work with.

Here it is a facility on the coast who caters to the commercial fishing industry called Englund Marine and their store in Newport. They carry a number of rope products that I've used, 3 I've listed below. However, in the last few years I've gone totally to the tarred twisted seine rope (they call it twine). Some has been up for 18 years and is still is good shape. I've never had a rope failure with it (the first one listed below). I sometimes terminate the rope ends with Nicopress sleeves or stops or a end coating compound. Also use almost always the good old bowline knot. Never had one of these come apart except when I wanted it to!!!!

Here I've not used rope over limbs since wayI found them becoming embedded in the limb after time and sometimes impossible to put down. I have a logger friend who for a nice bottle or two of Johnny Walker will go up the 100 to 150 foot Spruce trees around the edges of my property, screw a big eyebolt in and attach a pulley and string ropes for me. For counterweights to keep the lines relatively taut when the wind is blowing and the trees are moving I use old window sash weights (getting harder and harder to find).

I would suspect ANY such facility near your location who caters to the commercial fishing community and whose livelihood depends on furnishing rope and other products that will withstand the rigors of salt water would carry something similar (West Marine excluded who caters to recreational boaters).

Don T W7WLL

https://www.englundmarine.com/products/twisted-seine-twine---tarred%7CTWN-SEINET.html <https://www.englundmarine.com/products/twisted-seine-twine---tarred%7CTWN-SEINET.htmlhttps://www.englundmarine.com/products/amsteel-rope%7CSAM-870.htmlhttps://www.englundmarine.com/products/blue-steel-poly-3-strand-rope%7CCWC-BS.html>

https://www.englundmarine.com/products/amsteel-rope%7CSAM-870.html <https://www.englundmarine.com/products/twisted-seine-twine---tarred%7CTWN-SEINET.htmlhttps://www.englundmarine.com/products/amsteel-rope%7CSAM-870.htmlhttps://www.englundmarine.com/products/blue-steel-poly-3-strand-rope%7CCWC-BS.html>

https://www.englundmarine.com/products/blue-steel-poly-3-strand-rope%7CCWC-BS.html <https://www.englundmarine.com/products/twisted-seine-twine---tarred%7CTWN-SEINET.htmlhttps://www.englundmarine.com/products/amsteel-rope%7CSAM-870.htmlhttps://www.englundmarine.com/products/blue-steel-poly-3-strand-rope%7CCWC-BS.html>