[TowerTalk] Unusual 160m. L behavior

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Unusual 160m. L behavior
From: RVZ via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 00:50:38 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on why I'm experiencing unusual behavior on my
160m L.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that typically when radials are
added to a Vertical the impedance goes down, and less radials usually means a
higher impedance.  My Inv L is just the opposite: with 8 radials (2 at 135' and
6 at 33') the impedance is 50 ohms.  With 16 radials (2 at 135' and 14 at 33')
the impedance jumps to 85 ohms.  And not only does the impedance increase with
the number of radials, so does the resonant frequency increase, as it jumped
from 1825 khz to 1875 khz.
Seems like mighty weird behavior because I've never seen much of a change in
resonant freq. before when adding radials.
Note: measurements are at the base of the antenna with a AA230PRO.  The Inv. L
is 60' vertical and 75' horizontal, and spaced 12' away from a Rohn 45 tower
with a SteppIR Yagi top mounted.  Soil was dredged from the bottom of a
saltwater river.
73,
Dick- K9OM
Edgewater, Florida