Re: [TowerTalk] PLP "Big Grips"

To: Mac <libbysales@austin.rr.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PLP "Big Grips"
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 17:36:56 +0000
Mac,

  Not from the show me state BUT a skeptic  , in the 80’s when these GUY GRIPS
started creeping into the ham community ( my  limited knowledge time wise)

There were two different  ones  available  locally  for ¼  “ EHS ( strand)    5
wire wrap  and a 6 wire  wrap.

Having access to a QC lab in a truck manufacturing CO ( Mack Trucks)  We set up
an analisys with proper OD  HD thimbles and with out thimbles ( Read1/2 “ Dai.
Pull point)

With Rohn  1/4:”  EHS  with it’s  6000lb breaking strength.  IF memory servs me
the  EHS started to delamanat, elongqate and deform around 9400 lb. pull .  The
 Thimble also decreased it’s open end  dimension. At this point and above the
strands of the cable  started to elongatete and shear   ( read , catastrophic
failure was  not a big bang but a strand by stran domino.

The Head Mechanical Eng.  Predicted the thing PLP grip to fail before the
strand  WRONG.   He was really into it now. Hence his sugjestion to removal of
the thimble and just using the  pulling haws ½ dia.   Pull pin  and saying  NOW
the improper installing will cause a PLP big grip failure  !

Again the PLP line product  no mater 5 wire or 6 wire did not  fail.. the Rohn
¼ EHS failed before the PLP  product did  every time  ( there  were 6 full
tests ) .

This was tested  with only Rohn  ¼  strand wire and PLP 5 and 6 wire Big  Grips

Made a beleaver  out of me

Wayne W3EA