Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing Mastran

To: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing Mastran
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 14:10:19 -0800
Splice techniques for many types of ropes at
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=922

A carrick bend is often recommended for joining even unequal size lines for sailing. My arborist climber seemed to like the Zeppelin bend. Also there is the butterfly bend. Probably most important is to tie whatever correctly and test it against the slippery-ness of the rope and if it will shake out. I've had the classic bowline shake out in cyclic loading. It needs a backup knot or taped.

https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/arborist-knots

Grant KZ1W