Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Inductor Calculator

To: <ki7m@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Inductor Calculator
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 22:06:44 -0500
Perhaps this calculator asks the questions that you are looking for:
https://m0ukd.com/calculators/loaded-quarter-wave-antenna-inductance-calcula
tor/

John KK9A

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net

Hey folks,

I look at these coil calculators and come to the only conclusion is the
wrong question is being answered. Example:

If I have 130 feet of 12 gauge multi-strand insulated house wire (from
Lowes) how large of 3-4" coil wound on a PVC form do I need to resonate it
at 1830Khz? 1850Khz? 1880Khz?  1920Khz?

Or using a commercial coil from what I believe was an AM broadcast station
like pictured on my qrz page? (qrz/KI7M)

Or if you are real ambitious using some small Aluminum tubing from
DXEngineering or similar source?

These coil formulas always seem to want some factors that may not be known
about using the available material like 1/4" or 1/8" copper tubing. Or
number 8 gage copper I see in the local Lowes or Home Depot. And how to get
something silver plated once out of high school chemistry class I don't
know?

Just a thought or two.

Terry
KI7M