Re: [TowerTalk] Biggest, strongest rotor that fits a Rohn 45, rotor plat

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Biggest, strongest rotor that fits a Rohn 45, rotor plate?
From: Kurt Andress <andresskurt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 01:25:51 -0800

Hi Guys,
KK9A sent me an e-mail about this discussion.......
He needs us to modify a unit for him, and some others that read the thread have contacted me.....
Here's some info from my perspective......
There is probably no other rotator that can compete with one of our properly built prop pitch units in its price range. That is why we have been building them for over 3 decades. The first one I built properly was in my dad's (W6KUT, SK) tower for 27 years when he passed away, I had to rebuild the motor at about 15 years, Dad was a very active DX'er and used it almost every day. Right now we are building our 322nd-328th units, they are all over our small shop..we have rebuilt all sizes of them. I buy everything I can find that may produce some useable parts, we have a huge crate of spare parts collected from all the cadavers, and piles of cadavers outside waiting to be broken down to see what can get out of them, we save every serviceable part we find! When we run out of parts, we (my assistant & I) will retire, or maybe I'll just die first?

Dave Leeson, W6NL, & I did some calculations and we determined that the output torque of a small prop pitch is around 11,000-12,000 inch pounds. All of the parts in a prop pitch are aircraft quality heat treated alloy steel. I had an old ham that worked for Curtiss-Wright, in New Jersey, assembling these things on the production line, when they were taken out of service around 1955. He told me the US Army Air Corps (remember that was round when the US Air Force was created) was paying something like $3200-$3300 for each unit at that time! You do the math to convert that into today's dollars.

A small prop pitch has a gearbox reduction of 9576:1 and it's output speed, at a full 24 vdc voltage, is around 3/4 rpm. The motor draws around 7-8 amps @ 24 volts DC, unloaded. We have many of them out there turning big stacked antennas on top of towers, and turning K0XG rotating rings, and 150ft-200ft tall rotating Rohn 45-55G towers with lots of big antennas on them. The larger units have much larger electric motors and lower gearbox ratios, and much larger & stronger gears & bearings.

I hope this little bit of info assists you folks with this discussion!
73. Kurt, K7NV
P.S. I need to get back on the bench & computer to design & build some more stuff for the folks that have ordered & need what we can do.....

Message: 7