Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Silver vs Aluminum vs Copper Re: OT:

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Silver vs Aluminum vs Copper Re: OT:
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 11:18:19 -0800
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 22:47:53 -0600
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>

Inductor Calculator

<Look for 18-8 or 300 series stainless steel.   The 18 means 18% chromium and
the 8 means 8% nickel.

<73

<Matt

<KM5VI

##  18-8  can still be found, but for the most part, the 18-8  has been
replaced by the 3XX  series of SS.
304 SS  is  super shiny,  excellent corrosion resistance, and   readily
available.   316  SS  is marine grade,
and is supposed to be the ultimate in corrosion resistance for harsh
environments.. like salt spray, acid rain etc.

302 seems to be similar to 18-8 - 16-18 Cr, 8-10 Ni, ultimate tensile 100kpsi 304 is 18-20 Cr, 8-10.5 Ni, so more chromium, - ultimate strength is 95 kpsi - this is probably closest to 18/8 or 18/10

316 is more easily weldable. 16-18% Cr, 10-14 Ni, so it's higher in nickel than 18-8, which is probably why it's magnetic. 90 kpsi ultimate. More Molybdenum so it's corrosion resistance is better.

##  as far as strength,  SS  is not strong material, it has the same tensile
strength as  grade 2 mild steel, but plenty
good enough for most applications.  Phosphor bronze is a bit stronger, but our
local suppliers  dont usually carry it.
However  Phosphor bronze  is readily available online.    I have also  silver
plated  phosphor bronze  with the ..cool amp
goop....and ditto with   brass..and also copper.   IMO,  silver plated
phosphor bronze is about as good as it gets.
   Phosphor bronze is all I see being used by various HF  SW  Broadcast  ant
suppliers,  so they must be onto something.

For corrosion resistance, I imagine.. most phosphor bronze alloys are pretty resistive
from "copper.org"
The most widely used phosphor bronze contains 0.2% phosphorous and 5% tin; It has only half the conductivity of its most popular brass cousin, copper-30% zinc (15% IACS vs. 28% IACS). Unlike the brasses, which have a rather wide range of electrical conductivity (28-56% IACS), most phosphor bronzes range from only 11 up to 20% IACS , although there are exceptions with higher conductivity.