[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing discussion

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing discussion
From: RVZ via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 18:10:20 +0000 (UTC)
This is a helpful discussion as I'm seriously considering the use of two Thrust
bearings on one of my towers that doesn't have a Prop Pitch so swap out a
defective rotor without having to jack up the mast and antenna.  I realize that
mast alignment is a serious issue so I'm planning to use the DX Engineering
DXE-AS455G rotor plate as it's adjustable which should be helpful for aligning
the mast.

I'm wondering which thrust bearings do people like best, Rohn, Yaesu, or other?
73,Dick- K9OM

I believe that the prop pitch has a bearing and can hold considerableweight.
Having three bearings on a mast creates a line up issue but that isa whole
different subject. I just use a single thrust bearing at the top anda prop
pitch around 5' into the tower.
John KK9A

Mike k4gmh at arrl.net
Hello,
What have others used to take the weight off of a tower mounted prop pitchrotor?
Presently, in the final stage of modifying a rescued prop pitch
and,unfortunately,  it didn't have the triangle bearing plate.  Plan to use
acouple of Rohn TB3 thrust bearings, one at top of the tower and the
otherapprox. 2 ft below the top, but wanted to find out what others
successfullyhave used to keep the weight off prop pitch rotors.
The load will consist of a 2" dia. X 1/4" wall X 21 ft chrome molly mastplus a
homemade 40 m Moxon (approx. 70 lbs) and a 4 el SteppIR (approx. 50lbs).
I've review the TT archive for thrust bearings for possible applicationwith a
prop pitch rotor without any consensus on what to use other than theavailable
thrust bearings are not reliable in the long run.
  73,  Mike, K4GMH