Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing for Use with Prop Pitch Rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing for Use with Prop Pitch Rotor
From: Kurt Andress <andresskurt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 06:02:29 -0700
VXB Bearings sells a 2 1/16" dia bore flanged bearing....it's the only one at that size I have found so far.....should work with a 2" galvanized mast. One might need to file down some high spots of the galvanized coating, because when the masts are pulled out of the tank the end that is down collects more material... We have had to do that many times......it's not a big deal......a flat file & vernier calipers gets the thing right to fit thru a bearing.

https://www.vxb.com/2-1-16-Inch-HCF211-33-Flanged-Eccentric-Collar-p/hcf211-33.htm

Regarding the K4GMH prop pitch situation......he cannot put any vertical load on his prop pitch because he does not have the top plate & bearing that support the bevel gear/mast connection, or whatever he has imagineered....which could handle the axial load (around 1000 lbs). He has other issues to deal with, like how to seal the top end of the unit to keep water out of it. That is what ruins most of the prop pitch units put in service by amateurs!

73, Kurt, K7NV
P.S. We are still here doing what We do....something like starting to build our 330-335th ones....., but it is hard to stay up with my assistant, Marco, because I have some much larger fish to fry......