Re: [TowerTalk] Manually crank down a motorized tower

To: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Manually crank down a motorized tower
From: Dick Blumenstein <rcblumen@centurylink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 09:43:25 -0400
Hello Bob-

I've got a 73' crank up tower and have thought about that, too.

I guess it depends on what failed. If the motor just died, you could, of course, clamp the coupling shaft and then replace the motor. If the control box failed, you could replace that. However, if the gear box failed and locked up and wouldn't rotate, then you would have a much larger issue assuming the tower is in the cranked up position. My initial thoughts would be to cinch another wire cable onto the wire cable going up the tower with multiple U-clamps and connect that wire cable to a come-a-long to the base of the tower and pull down on the tower cable. That would alleviate the tension on the motor/gear/drum assembly and allow you to fix/replace the gearing mechanism.

Dick, K0CAT