Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 15:43:22 -0700
Hi Steve,

Unless there is something highly conductive "down there" to connect to, I don't think ground rods make much RF difference anywhere in a lower loss radial system for a vertical antenna. Then for lightning protection the 2 length separation between rods seems correct to me. Then inductance in the wire limits the practical lightning protection wire length to around 60 ft, so no point in setting ground rods further out from the base. I also found that #2 solid wire (new code) to connect pairs of 8' rods (for lightning protection) 16' apart has enough surface area to reduce measured resistances in a 32' long radial pattern.

For a new tower base, making it a Ufer system with the rebar well connected to the grounding plate, IMO probably does more than several 8' ground rods for lightning protection. At least my ground resistance measurements seem to show that. Is there some RF benefit? At least damp concrete with rebar has much more conductivity than average ground.

Grant KZ1W