Re: [TowerTalk] Big Grip Installation

To: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Big Grip Installation
From: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 20:47:01 -0500
I believe there were split crimps, galvanized, that were supposed to be put around the free end of the big grip. I have several towers put up in 1992 that didn't use them and have survived Mother Nature without problem. However that doesn't mean it should not have had them installed.

-John NI0K

K9MA <mailto:k9ma@sdellington.us>
Tuesday, April 09, 2019 8:43 PM
When I put up my tower in 1989, I used 3/16" EHS and big grips. At the time, I don't think anything was normally placed at the end of the big grip. Just to be safe, I put a 3/8 inch cable clamp at the end of each one. That seems to have worked fine. Now I'm replacing the tower, using the same size EHS and big grips, but I'm seeing inconsistent references to using "end sleeves". I can't, however, find any explicit instructions calling for their use. By contrast, the instructions for installing the big grips on Phillystran specifically call for installation of a nylon cable tie. (I can see why it might be bad to compress Phillystran with a cable clamp.)

So my question is: Are the end sleeves mandatory, and, if so, can I use cable clamps instead. One obvious disadvantage of the cable clamps is the things can get snagged on them. (Been there, done that.)

FWIW, this time around I'm using Phillystran for the center part of each guy, with a short length of EHS at the tower end and a longer one near the ground. I don't think big grips were available for Phillystran in 1989.

Thanks and 73,

Scott K9MA