Re: [TowerTalk] Ladder Line Question?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ladder Line Question?
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 14:49:56 -0700
Way too many unknowns.

Where did he calibrate the VNWA?  Was the balun/impedance transformer in the calibration path?  If so, what standards were used?

Standard practice would be to make both an open and short measurement of the line. Half wavelength multiples are actually to be avoided since a network analyzer doing S11 measurements is least accurate at impedance extremes. (See Chipman, "Theory and Problems of Transmission Lines"  Section 7.5)

The VNWA-3 is an excellent instrument and when used with AC6LA's "Z-plots"  greatly simplifies the process of transmission line analysis.  These two tools, which I can afford to have in my shack (especially since Z-plots is amazingly free) provide capability better than I had with a $200,000 network analyzer in the past.

Wes  N7WS