Re: [TowerTalk] Loos PT-3 Corrections for EHS Cables

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loos PT-3 Corrections for EHS Cables
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 16:31:06 -0500
Your text format is difficult to read.

If I recall there is a chart with the gauge. The Loos PT-3 is not designed for EHS but it is definitely better than just going by eye, which is what I did previously and in my opinion it is close enough. It will never be accurate, there are much better devices but they cost thousands of dollars.

John KK9A

Byron Tatum wrote:

Hello- I have spent some time searching but could not find the information I recalled seeing, previously I believe on this site, regarding the correction factor for the Loos tension guage when used on the stiffer 1x7 EHS guy lines. Particularly I am looking for corrections in using the Loos PT-3 with 1/4" and 5/16" EHS guy cables.I did find one Ham's comments on his website about applying a 10% correction (I believe adding 10% to the converted pounds reading taken from Loos guage) for the 5/16" EHS cable. I read his comments about a procedure: 1. Positioning the Loos guage in several different places on guy cable, just slightly removed from each other, due to the effects of strand lay on the nylon pulleys. 2. Next he averaged the raw scale readings then converting this averaged reading to pounds on Loos chart. 3. This pounds reading was increased by 10% (correction for 5/16" EHS).Any comments appreciated. I am doing some fine tuning on guy tensioning on newly erected 130' Rohn 45G tower, put up according to Rohn 130 MPH dimensions and specifications.Thanks, Byron W5FH