Re: [TowerTalk] VHF/UHF Common Mode Choke

To: Glenn Pritchard <gpritchard7000@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VHF/UHF Common Mode Choke
From: Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H <ea1ddo@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 09:41:16 +0000
Hi Glenn,

As you said, folded driven element is around 200 to 300 Ohm impedance.
To transform that to 50 Ohm is not a balun, it is a impedance transformer. You
can transform 300 Ohm to 50 Ohm and still balanced.
What I am trying to say is  these two steps are two different things; one is
impedance transformation, and the other is balanced to unbalanced adaptation.
These two different functions can be done in different devices, or in only one.

95% V/UHF design for last 15 or more years are all 50 Ohm, including the folded
dipoles.
We achieve that with the proper elements design. Adjusting the size and the
position of the first director basically.

Some design gurus here in Europe:

http://www.dg7ybn.de/

http://www.yu7ef.com/

https://www.g0ksc.co.uk/