Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Zone

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Zone
From: Gene Smar via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 12:50:49 -0400
TT:

     I have a Trylon T-500-64 in my backyard.  There are two different gauges
of steel that make up the legs in that tower:  the thicker gauge is used in the
first four sections, up to 32 feet, and the thinner steel is used for the upper
four sections.  Logic would let you conclude that the wind pressure would
likely cause the tower to fail somewhere along the thinner steel.

     I also ran Trylon's tower loading software on this model, to include my
planned antennas and mast.  The software showed that, with loading from a 90
mph wind, the safety margin reached zero at the junction of the thin and thick
leg steel, or at the 32 foot level.  There was safety margin left on the
remaining seven sections.

     The Trylon's will bend in half under heavy winds.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F