[TowerTalk] Outdoor HV Cables

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Outdoor HV Cables
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 19:46:45 -0500
Just in case this is of use to others:

I needed to make some jumpers to go from the bottom end of my shunt feed gamma matches to the tuner. There's about 5 kV on the 80 meter one, so I wanted high voltage insulation so someone doesn't get an RF burn. (The rest of the first 10 feet of the gamma match is in PVC conduit.) I've used RG-8 center conductors before, but the insulation doesn't hold up well in the sun. I didn't want to leave the shield on, as it adds too much capacitance. I had some new RG-213 from DXE, and found that I could slide the outer jacket off of a 3 foot length, remove the shield, and slide the jacket back on.  I just had to strip an inch at one end, clamp it in a vice, and pull. Instant UV resistant, low capacitance, HV cable. This may not work on all RG-8/213 type cables.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA