[TowerTalk] RFS LCF158-50JA 1-5/8" Heliax

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RFS LCF158-50JA 1-5/8" Heliax
From: Byron Tatum <bjtatum1@att.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 05:40:27 +0000 (UTC)
Hello-    Just a quick question and some notes here regarding the RFS
LCF158-50JA (1-5/8") Heliax. I am getting a few runs ready for installation on
my towers for VHF/UHF systems. I had picked up the manufacturer's "premium"
connectors, the RFS 716F-LCF158-D01K. I am using 7-16 DIN connectors on tower
runs. I obtained the spanner wrenches for these connectors.     These RFS
connectors make contact with the center conductor using small spring fingers
that slip inside the center conductor copper tube a very short distance. I had
read that the Andrew AL7DF-PS connector will fit the RFS LCF158-50 cable. I had
picked up a few of the Andrew connectors when I obtained the RFS connectors. I
compared the two connectors and it appears to me the Andrew AL7DF-PS connector
would be more desirable based on the construction of the center conductor
contact mechanism. The Andrew connector has a much longer (silver plated) and
more massive contact assembly that inserts into center conductor much further
than the RFS connector. Both connectors make contact to the outer conductor in
a similar manner. The Andrew connector has more O-ring seals.    I was curious
if anyone else has had a similar experience as me with this cable and
connectors. I assembled one of each type to the cable and it appears to me I
prefer the Andrew connector based on the two inch long center conductor contact
assembly. It appears to me the RFS connector has only about 1/2 inch
(insertion) contact to center conductor ID. I am curious if in long term use of
the RFS connector this very short insertion length of the center conductor
contact fingers could be a trouble area?      I did experiment with an older
1-5/8" Andrew connector, the L7-PDF. I really liked that (solid) center
conductor contact piece that threaded into the internal spirals of the center
conductor on the old LDF7-50 cable. However, this RFS LCF158-50 cable has a
slightly larger ID of the center conductor than the older LDF7-50 Andrew cable
and the L7-PDF connector center conductor threaded piece makes a very sloppy
fit. It will tighten up against the internal spiral but I would not trust it
long term.     I made up a 160' piece of the RFS cable using the Andrew
AL7DF-PS connectors and it tested to spec regarding SWR and loss when tested at
highest frequency of use here (1296 Mhz). So I am thinking of going with these
connectors.     Just curious if anyone else has experience with connectors for
the RFS LCF158-50 cable.Byron W5FH