Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R
From: "Lou Laderman" <lladerman@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 12:17:56 -0500
Bruce, a couple of questions.

What's your max square footage limitation, or desired max?

Are you looking all bands 40 - 10M, or just the contest bands (no WARC
coverage)?

73

Lou, W0FK

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 10:21:56 -0400
From: "Bruce Meier" <bemeier@bellsouth.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R

I am looking at changing my tower and antenna configurations and making it
more "from the ground" serviceable.  To that point, I just completed the
installation of a US Towers HDX589 and it is in need of an antenna.  I would
like to have only 1 antenna on the tower and will be using a hinge bracket
to be able to tilt the tower and keep the antenna parallel to the ground for
maintenance.

Questions:

1.      The Force 12 DB-18E is the current antenna selection.   Based on
what I have been able to determine this solution will not be easy (or
perhaps even possible) to integrate into an SO2R configuration due to the
need to have the IR controller connected to either the computer or radio for
frequency information.  It appears that the antenna must be dedicated to one
rig only and can't be switched from Rig LEFT to Rig RIGHT or vise versa.
Does anyone have a SteppIR antenna/controller integrated into SO2R and if so
- how did you do it?

a.      I am using (2) K3 XCVRs, (2) ACOM 2000As, N1MM+, YCCC SO2R box,
Array Solutions SIXPAK.

2.      I have not yet purchased the antenna, so I am open to alternate
antenna suggestions.   I would like the antenna to cover 40 - 10 meters.  (6
meters is a bonus but not required)

Thanks for your assistance.

73,

Bruce N1LN