Re: [TowerTalk] Bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bearings
From: Dave Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 08:29:35 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Years ago when I bought the Tristao 71 foot crank up.  Bob Henry tried to sell
me a Rohn thrust bearing.  I corresponded with Lou Tristao and he said since
the tower had what he called a side bearing or sleeve bearing which kept the
mast straight. He recommended a radial thrust bearing to protect the down push
to the rotor so the rotor would rotate the beams easily.

I bought a Fafnir 2 and 1/6 inch bearing that lasted for over 40 years, Lou
told me that if the tower did not have the sleeve bearing in the top section
then a thrust bearing was best as it also protected the side moment. I put a
Rohn 45G tower with a straight top and bought the heavy duty DX engineering
bearing.

Dave K4JRB