Re: [TowerTalk] time to modernize the reflector

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] time to modernize the reflector
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 11:31:44 -0700
Yes, Rob, there is a contesting.com web interface. But, none of us is forced to use the web interface. Same for Yahoo Groups and Groups.io. For all these email reflectors I use Thunderbird local email client and keep all my email local, not on the web. The "Delete" key is your friend; it is really fast just looking at the Subject.

If you want to access an archive, you need the web interface. Otherwise, not.

It seems to have been overlooked here but the salient difference once proposed in this thread was to change to a *forum* format. I presume the person who proposed that does know what a forum is. A forum is vastly different than any kind of email reflector and is necessarily a web interface. It is a totally different experience!

I agree it would be sometimes helpful to have the ability to attach pictures but that does bring the potential for abuse. When picture attachments are allowed, their size can be limited.

Safe computing presumes the use of effective anti-virus software on your own computer; that anti-virus software should also scan incoming email, including attachments.

For info, please understand that I own and moderate numerous Restricted (not Private) Yahoo Groups (for over eleven years) and I allow picture attachments to those emails. I've *never* had any abuse of this feature. "Restricted" means I have approved each person requesting to join the reflector but it does not prevent finding the reflector when searching and asking to join.

Larry