Re: [TowerTalk] DOT- USCG Tower Manual

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DOT- USCG Tower Manual
From: Mac <libbysales@austin.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 09:38:01 -0500
I did what Roger has done as well,  just a belt safety strap and bag of lamps near a 700' Microwave tower in the Dallas area [ in my misspent youth] it paid in the early 70's a $1.00 a foot one way, or .50 round trip,  had the jumbo ass size lamps got past the microwave dish's and they would turn them off for the time i was at or near the face going up or down. when i arrived at the top and last few to change, for fun and "look see" i tossed over a few of the ones i had replaced.

Safely back on the ground and getting all done and expecting payment as agreed, the manager asked why i was short 2 lamps, i told him, he smiled and said he was unsure but would have to now wait till dark to be sure ALL the lighting was working, and made a point of showing his distrust of my casual 'tossing' .

I scurried out into the field and recovered the two i had tossed and brought back the base's wherein they were date coded and scratched with month and yr , he still made me wait a week to get paid, yes i learned, but more a memory than a real lesson.

Again my mis-spent youth and needing a quick infusion of cash, not withstanding my age but more Wisdom, I'd no more do that today than fly to the moon.

mac/mc  w5mc