Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding

To: "John Mardock" <j@mardock.us>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 17:35:19 -0400
Stop a direct hit?   No!

Make your appliance less likely to be damaged or destroyed?   Yes!

There are no protection absolutes when it comes to lightning strikes.  All you
can hope to do is make your valuables less inviting of a target relative to
other potential targets, and provide the shortest low resistance paths to
ground in an attempt to help divide up and “control” the effects of that strike.

I too make sure to disconnect EVERYTHING in my shack when not in use during the
lightning months as well as when it appears that a T-storm is on the way.
Grounding alone is not enough at this qth.  You must disconnect everything
INSIDE.  That is no guaranty either but it does afford an additional level of
protection, the vast majority of the time.

I have had EMP’s from strikes on my towers that have been so powerful that they
have lit up my TV’s even though we had lost electrical power, and 18 years ago
actually caused a battery operated doll of my daughter’s to start walking and
talking!  I have also lost a few circuit boards inside one of my FT 1000MP’s
and a 2 meter radio in that same storm.  Nothing was attached to either of
those radios at the time.

I have also had lightning come into the house through the phone lines, cable
lines and the well.  One strike on my tower two years ago (when everything was
disconnected!) actually induced a big ZAPPP! in my the radiator in the kitchen
– and a nasty arc between the radiator and the wall that gave off a burning
smell.    In the 21 years that I have had my two towers up, and taken probably
10 or so direct and indirect hits, that had not happened before or since.  We
are still not quite sure how that happened since nothing else was affected.

Use all the lightning protection that you can and disconnect everything when
not in use!

73

Bob KQ2M