Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 14:58:02 -0700
On 9/7/2019 11:03 AM, Richard Smith wrote:

This reflector is plain text only, so no photos.

Radio related comment -- be sure to include any such towers in the NEC model for any vertical antennas. After I got my 120 ft tower up almost 9 years ago, N6BV and NI6T each suggested to me (and separately, not at the same time) that I check for interaction between it and my existing 160 Tee vertical. Even though the tower is about 200 ft from the Tee, it acts as a nice passive reflector, giving me several dB going south!

I also have 1/4 wave wires for 160 sloping from the tower, insulated from the tower and fed from the base against elevated radials. I feed them one at a time, which also gives me a few dB in the direction of the slope, the tower acting as a reflector. AND -- if short the Tee, it acts as a reflector for those antennas, kicking their lobe about 40 degrees north to JA and EU.

Another point. I have high dipoles for 80, 40, and 30M, all fed with coax. Each has a choke inline optimized for 160M so that the feedline doesn't interact with the 160 antennas.

73, Jim K9YC