Re: [TowerTalk] Rotating tower failures?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotating tower failures?
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 07:50:13 -0500
AB105 is big but probably not any stronger than Rohn 55g. k4JA's 40m tower did twist during hurricane Isabel and eventually failed, there is a sad photo on page 14. https://www.pvrc.org/Newsletters/oct03.pdf Paul used a homebrew rotating system.

John KK9A

N4ZR wrote:

I believe that was the failure mechanism in the wind-induced collapse of
K4JA's 200-foot AB-105 tower used for his stack of 40M beams.  I worked
(in a minor way) on the replacement with heavy-duty AB-105 which was
finished just minutes before the start of a major contest a looong time ago.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.