To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <art@artg.tv>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 201, Issue 33
From: "Lou Laderman" <lladerman@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 11:33:00 -0500
I've taken delivery of 3 towers over the last 40 years or so, A Heights 60'
crank-up, a Tri-Ex TM358 Sky Needle, and a US Tower HDX555. The Heights and
Sky Needle were brought into freight terminals by the trucking companies and
to my house by a local cartage company. The UST arrived on a flatbed
directly from the UST facility in Lincoln, NE, so scheduling was perhaps a
bit easier. But any local delivery truck driver will contact you at least a
day in advance to set-up a time for delivery. Otherwise, you could have it
shipped to a rigger's or local cartage company's facility where they can
offload it and schedule a delivery for you.

The Heights tower was aluminum, and relatively light compared to a steel
tower. So my "crew" of local hams offloaded the sections and carried it to
the installation site. The Sky Needle was offloaded from the local delivery
truck by a crane that swung it into place for installation. The UST was
offloaded by a backhoe loader my contractor used to dig the hole for the
tower. Since we had a scheduled delivery time, getting him over was pretty
easy. He used a sling to lift the tower on the front bucket and drove the
loader to the slab for installation. A loader works just fine as long as the
loader's large enough to carry the weight of the tower. They're typically
smaller than a tow truck, and can probably get through your gate if it's not
too narrow. You could also disassemble your fence in that area to create a
temporary opening.

Good luck!

73

Lou, W0FK