Re: [TowerTalk] Skip Distance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Skip Distance
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 05:43:52 -0700
On 9/12/19 6:02 PM, Roger D Johnson wrote:
I've been running some tests on my 8 circle array with K1JB. Joe is 17 miles away and I sometimes notice deep fading on his signal. Makes plotting the antenna pattern very difficult. Is it possible to have skywave contamination
at this short range?

What frequency are you at and what time of day?
It's entirely possible to get skywave. At some frequency, vertical incidence reflects straight back down. You might look for an ionosonde near you - these days, many ionosondes put their plots online in near real time.