[TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower Guy Calculations

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower Guy Calculations
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 06:36:16 +0000 (UTC)
 Hi Tom,
I have followed this discussion for a little while and there are several things
that make me worried. I went through some mistakes myself erecting my first
"antenna support".
Aircraft wires: No, no! I used them in my first setup. Flexible wire and cheap
but they corroded very fast for me. Use galvanized utility wires instead. I did
and have found no corrosion after several years up.
No Z support between the legs: OK, it might work but the diagonal support
transfer the bending force from one leg to the other, giving a lot more rigid
structure. I have seen small towers with only perpendicular cross brassing but
then the brassing consists of wide plates, not round tubes or rods.
Don't guy self supporting towers: This is a misnomer. You can add extra
strength to a self supporting tower but the problem is the crank-up tower as
the guy wires will add force to the winch cable(-s), something they are not
designed for. If you have a fixed, self supporting tower you can add guy wires
to add to the strength.
Tower support: I, myself, would not use my house for support. I would be very
affraid the tower would rip my house apart. I have seen towers attached to
houses at the edge of the roof. I also seen guy anchors screwed into the roof
and I have asked myself; "What would happen when the tower is exposed to a near
destructive wind. What would give in first? The support point or the house?" I
would, possibly, anchor a short tower (~10 feet) to a roof but not anything
large.
I have a 85 feet, rigid, self supporting tower in  my back yard. It can
withstand 90 mph wind. When I added guy wires it can now support 135 mph wind.
The guys are attached about 60 feet up. They were placed where they reduced the
bending forces the best. That point is not at the top nor half way up.

That's my penny thoughts. My tower has been up for 7 years now. Nothing much
has happend to it. The eye of hurricane Irene went through here and a lot ot
trees came down. My tower is still standing.
73 de,
Hans - N2JFS