Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Markings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Markings
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 13:15:47 -0700
On 10/21/19 11:52 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
What is the FCC definition of a rural area?

John KK9A

Probably FAA is what you want.
One of the presentations by K1VR gives a number like 10,000 people to make it "not rural"

The problem they are trying to solve is ag aerial applicators (crop dusters) running into stuff that's hard to see. So a practical interpretation would be "if you're in an area where they do crop dusting, you're in a rural area"

(mind you, when the Mediterranean fruit fly was a problem in Los Angeles, they sprayed pretty much the entire city with Malathion/bait, and under no stretch of imagination could you call Los Angeles "rural")

Gedas w8bya wrote:

So my take in looking over the ARRL "readers digest" article & the
Dayton presentation where they state:

"The new FAA regulations, implemented in the summer of 2019 now require
that the only towers less than 200 feet tall that have to be painted and
lighted are/meteorological aids and those within the glide slope of an
airport or heliport./The remainder of such towers/in rural or
agricultural areas lower than 200 feet need to only/be included in
an FAA-maintained database, which will be updated by the owners of such
towers."

Is that I will have to register my 2-3 towers in the FAA database since
I live in a rural area (farmland all around me) and the towers are
removed away from any buildings etc.

Gedas, W8BYA