Re: [TowerTalk] Best / Longest lasting 100/200 ft Tape measure

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best / Longest lasting 100/200 ft Tape measure
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 12:25:11 -0700
On 10/31/19 12:01 PM, Charles Morrison wrote:
I'm in need of a new long tape measure.
Every one Ive ever bought has broken, faded or cracked/ripped.
What would you buy today ?

A laser distance meter:
https://shop.leica-geosystems.com/disto-job-site-measuring-us

they are awesome - some models measure angles and have a built in targeting camera, so you could measure the height of that tree over there, etc.

The thing you cannot do with one of these is measure the length of a flexible cable (coax, guy wire, etc.) by pairing the tape and the cable and running them through your hands.

You also cannot measure the "along the rough and not straight surface" with the laser distance meter.

yes, they are pricey ($100-ish, various brands, significantly more for the fancy ones) - Bosch has a 50m (165ft) one for $90. I see the Leica D2 100m unit for $130 on Amazon. There's a bunch of cheaper ones from mystery brands that probably work well enough.

You care about how bright the dot is, so you can see it. The ones with the video screen make this easier, because you get an enlarged view of what the dot is on, and they enhance the dot image - examples: Bosch GLM400CL or the Leica E7500

I've used both flavors of Leica and they're wonderful.