[TowerTalk] BURY FLEX and PE outer Jackets (also used on our ROTOR CABLE

To: Dick Green RLG Analytics <dick@rlganalytics.com>, "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BURY FLEX and PE outer Jackets (also used on our ROTOR CABLE). ROPE Re: LMR 400 UF issue and Low Loss cables in general Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 203, Issue 15
From: Steve Davis | Davis RF <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 18:31:35 +0000
  Dick,  Thanks for the comments ref. Bury-Flex Tm vs. LMR-400 UF.  I think
that answers Bob 's  question.

Just to add, when I designed Bury-Flex Tm I used a medium  density PE
(polyethylene).  PE is highly resistive to rot, mildew, UF, various oils,
chem's and gasoline.   It has a higher durometer than PVC (PVC can be had in
various formulas and is most often used for flexibility and relative low cost.
Only certain formulas of PVC are UV and plasticizer migration resistant.
DAVIS RF only uses the UV compounds of PVC for any type of cable that will be
used outdoors. But again, PE has even more qualities )

   I have Bury- Flex Tm  Buried directly in the ground, and laying on the
surface in my woods to my tower.  It has been out there over 15 years.   The
jacket is as shiny as new, really.   I have all the critters here in MA and
they do not bother the PE outer jacket of Bury-Flex Tm.

  We also have our various rotor cables that we sell extruded with a PE outer
jacket.   We are only one of two dealers that I can find who uses PE.   The
most common mfr. Of rotor cable is JSC Wire, they use a PVC outer jacket.

  So, bottom line,  PE is an excellent outer jacket material for resistance to
the above noted elements.      I have not tested shelf life, or outdoor or
buried life, because it has been around 15 years so far that we have had
Bury-Flex Tm out there, and less years for our rotor cables, since we converted
to PE.  But clearly, based on my experience and insight as a cable design
engineer, I'd depend on PE jacketing to be "out there" or on the shelf for at
least 30 years.

Our rotor cable with PE, as well as Bury-Flex Tm, and others, are available
from many ham dealers including HRO, Universal Radio,  Texas Towers and others.

   Any questions, feel free.    Need ROPE of all types / sizes , at LOW prices,
made in USA??   DavisRopeAndCable.com  (this is a totally separate company,
staff and location than DAVIS RF... please contact me for either company)

73, Steve, K1PEK       Steve Davis,  DAVIS RF Co.  and  DavisRopeAndCable.com

On 11/13/19, 12:50 PM, "Dick Green RLG Analytics" <dick@rlganalytics.com>