Re: [TowerTalk] "different" trap

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "different" trap
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 15:00:22 -0500

The style of construction says "Mosley"

Mosley typically put a 10 and 15 meter trap in the same housing.
The bottom coil plus capacitance to the outer cover is the 10
10 meter trap.  The outer cover, short as it is, is the 15 meter
element (the 10 meter trap is a "high L" trap to resonate with
the short 15 meter element). The top (or outer in the case of a
yagi) coil and capacitance to the outer cover is the 15 meter
trap.

The relatively high inductance and low capacitance in the Mosley
traps mean the traps are "low Q" (high loss) and account for the
demonstrated inefficiency (see the K7LXC & N0AX range test data)
of Mosley yagis.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV