[TowerTalk] Weekend from Hell...

To: 'towertalk' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Weekend from Hell...
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 00:31:48 -0600
This seems to have morphed into some RFI stories. Here's one:

I lived in Longmont, CO, until 1995. I was in a nice, middle-class neighborhood in modest houses on modest lots. I have a 50 ft tower with a tribander and 2 el 40 m beam on it along with a dipole for the 12, 17 and 30 m bands and an inverted V for 80 m. By far, most of my operation is CW.

We had a neighbor behind us that had RFI troubles with a touch lamp when I transmitted. He had told me about it, I explained the problem and I offered to look at it, but he wasn't interested in taking me up on the offer.  One evening, he showed up at my door with a burley companion to express his displeasure with how I affected his touch lamp. Recognizing that he was playing an intimidation game, I simply patiently explained, again, the nature of the problem. I showed him my station and handed him a little RFI pamphlet from the ARRL and went over the points made in it. He wasn't happy, but he and his friend left after about 30 min.

I wasn't happy with his game nor was I happy with the fact that he wasn't interested in fixing the issue, only of bullying me to abandon my hobby, and I was having none of that. The way my house and shack were arrayed, I could look out the window across my yard and see his upstairs living room where the offending touch lamp was along with his TV. Likewise, he could see if I was in my shack.

Fast forward to an early Fall Saturday afternoon: he's watching a college football game. I fire everything up and, to see if anything has changed touched my key. Immediately, his touch lamp came on. I could see him jump up and go to the balcony to look across at my house. I ducked down so I couldn't be seen. He stared for a while, and them went back to his game. I hatched a plan...

I setup my keyer so as to send RFI TEST DE N5OP repeatedly every 10 s. If I hurried, I could get out the back door in about 10 s. I programmed the message to start with a 10 s delay and repeat indefinitely. I needed to mow the lawn, so I readied my mower, went back inside, started the keyer and ran out the back door to begin mowing. His touch lamp begin to flicker. He jumped up and headed top his balcony to check out what was going on at my house.

Lo! and Behold! I'm innocently mowing my lawn! He stares at me and at my house. Yet, I'm OUTSIDE, mowing my lawn. He stares a bit, walks inside, watches his lamp go nuts for a bit, then unplugs it. N5OP: 1, Neighbor: 0

After the weather turned cold, I was going to do something or other with a friend who was also a new ham. It was dark, and a weekend night. I'd turned out all the lights and my neighbor was clearly watching a sports event on his TV. With is touch lamp on, in a corner of his room. My friend arrives and it was a case of "Watch this!" Leaving the lights off, I turned on the rig, and touched the key. "One ping only."

This touch lamp, I'd learned, had four sequential states: off, low, medium, high. Sure enough the touch lamp changed intensity. We could clear;y see him turn his head, look at it, then spring up to look across at my house. Yet my room was dark -- my whole house was dark. He looked for a bit, went inside and adjusted his lamp back to its initial state (low, I think). He sat back down and started watching the game. I touched my key.

Again he went to his balcony to check out my place, which remained dark as a tomb. So, he adjusts his lamp again. My friend is now laughing pretty hard. A few seconds after the neighbor settles into his recliner I again touch my key. He no longer checks to see if there's anything to see at my house but goes straight to the lamp, checks it over and again adjusts it. As soon as he sits down, I touch the key again. By this time my friend has developed quite a side stich from laughing so hard. The neighbor gets up again and adjusts the lamp. As soon as he gets to his chair, I touch my key. He gets up again and this time turns the lamp off. As soon as he turns his back, I touch my key and it dutifully comes back on.

My neighbor is clearly agitated by this time. He turns it off and stares at it. I touch my key. He cycles through the states and leaves it on a different setting. I touch my key...

This repeats perhaps twice more. The last time, I let him sit back down and get comfy in his recliner before I touch my key. This sends him into a literal frenzy! He jumps up, grabs the lamp and shakes it as if he strangling it. He rips the plug out of the wall and then hurls it down a hallway. Game, set, match.

The lamp was never seen again and I never heard another peep out of him.

Kim N5OP

Fast forward to a Saturday afternoon

--

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." //– Attributed to many people; it’s so true that it doesn’t matter who said it./