Re: [TowerTalk] Need a Knot Expert

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need a Knot Expert
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 11:15:38 -0500
GM Wes and happy thanksgiving !

Surprisingly when the rope (knot portion with antenna) is hoisted up and the antenna pulled tight that still tightens up those vertical ropes. Do you remember that problem we were all given in college to calculate the tension in a rope if you pulled on it in the middle perpendicular to that rope? Even though that perpendicular pull is WAY WAY off on one end it still seems to pull it out and away from the tower almost a foot stretching the entire vertical ropes.

Probably did a poor job explaining that but in the end the tension in those vertical ropes does increase when the "dipole" is made nice and tight and 30 or so pounds of tension is applied. Add to that some wind or 1/2" of ice and that 30 pounds seems to turn into several hundred pounds of tangential pull.

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....