Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Need a Knot Expert

To: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Need a Knot Expert
From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew@matthew.at>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 09:07:05 -0800
Put a figure-8-on-a-bight (with an overhand safety) at the end of each rope
(strongest way to create a loop at a rope end, outperforms the bowline)
Join them with a carabiner. Attach other things at that carabiner. (Or
attach carabiners on each to a load plate and attach all you want to that).
You can leave the figure-8’s on your haul and tag ropes indefinitely,
because this a almost always how you want to be set up and it doesn’t hunt
anything.

You never want to attach two bowlines or two figure-8 knots directly
without a carabiner in between as the loops will chafe each other as they
move and cause rope failure. This is particularly true of any synthetic
rope with jacket and core construction.

If you really insist on trying two ropes end to end, use a double
fisherman’s knot. But it won’t leave you a loop. If you then really need a
loop and don’t have hardware, add a figure-8-on-bight tied mid-line style
(some great pictures online if you’ve never seen that)

I can tie a bowline one-handed too... but I never use them for anything.

Matthew Kaufman, KA6SQG
(Former Boy Scout and current EMT trained in rope rescue systems)