[TowerTalk] Which Vertical is More Robust ?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Which Vertical is More Robust ?
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 11:13:16 -0500
HNY to all !

I cannot think of a better time to start a new 40m phased vertical project then the dead of winter with snow on the ground (as usual I could not get to it during the summer or fall).

Anyway, I have drawn up two possibilities for a pair of 33' self supporting verticals. Both start out with a 10' length of EMT but one choice starts out with a larger dia then the other before I switch over to tapering aluminum sections.

A) Starts out with a 10' length of 1-1/4" EMT followed by tapering 5' sections of aluminum tubing (4' long exposed, 1' inside the previous lower section) until the very top length section which will be 3/4" OD dia. These will be standard DX engineering aluminum tubes.

B) Starts out with a 10' length of 1-1/2" EMT, then a 5' length of 1-1/4" dia of EMT (4' long exposed, 1' inside the previous section of EMT) then followed by tapering 5' sections of aluminum tubing as above. The only difference being this choice would end up using 1" aluminum tubing as the very top piece.

So the obvious difference between the two are that choice A) uses just one length of thinner EMT and overall thinner aluminum tubing sections to the top while choice B) uses 2 lengths of larger dia EMT and then larger dia aluminum tubing to the very top.

I do not have the software to analyze choice A) vs. choice B) in a high wind situation. I am uncertain if the stronger, larger dia tubing with it's higher wind load will be a plus or a minus in the end to it's overall strength. Any thoughts or comments on which one will survive better during heavy wind conditions? TU

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....