Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Grease preference or recommendation

To: towertalk@contesting.com, libbysales@austin.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Grease preference or recommendation
From: k7lxc--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 17:45:14 +0000 (UTC)
> After years of quality service and dependability I have my PP on the
ground and want to repack the case with the most reasonable source of grease to
use to repack the so called gearbox as I have long ago forgotten what I used 15
plus years ago for this effort. Additionally any source beyond cutting out and
making my own replacement gaskets is welcomed, as an experience K7NV is not
receptive to providing these unless he has also reworked or rebuilt the PP in
question
    Which parts do you want to grease? I don't think there was any grease used
when the PP's were in original service - just some sort of oil. (My military PP
manual is packed so I can't look it up quickly.) When in original service in
airplane engines, the PP's were mounted horizontally but when used in ham
service they were mounted vertically which would allow the oil to drip out. All
of the assemblers I've ever talked to recommended using them dry - no oil - so
no problem with leakage. Since the duty cycles in ham use are pretty small
compared to their original use, no internal lubrication isn't a big deal. And
they still last for many years.

Cheers,Steve     K7LXCTOWER TECH