Re: [TowerTalk] Insights on 30m EDZ - nowhere near what I thought

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insights on 30m EDZ - nowhere near what I thought
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 11:58:16 -0800
On 2/5/2020 11:47 AM, Matthew King - AK4MK wrote:
As far as the advantage of the antenna, it's two 5/8 wave elements fed in
the center, so it has about 3db gain over a standard center fed dipole on
the same frequency.  That gain is broadside to the antenna, with nulls off
the end.

Yes. But that gain is only on the single band for which it is designed. When I first moved to W6, I had one up for a while. It worked, but the feedline needed a choke to prevent common mode noise pickup on the feedline. I added one and the antenna got quieter. The choke was applied at the point of the transition from two-wire line matching section to coax. Once I had Al in the air, I took it down.

73, Jim K9YC