[TowerTalk] COIL 3.85

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] COIL 3.85
From: Brian Beezley <k6sti@att.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 17:09:09 -0800
I've posted version 3.85 of my Windows coil calculator:

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/coil.zip

See README.TXT to install the program.

Some recent changes:

Accuracy
I've refined the inductor model. Average error magnitude is 2.0% for L and 4.8% for Q on a set of test coils measured with an HP 4342A Q meter. See COILS.TXT for details.

Coil Shape
I've added octagonal, hexagonal, and square shapes. Polygonal loading coils wound on a cage of PVC pipe are used on the 630m and 2200m bands.

Perimeter Fill
Perimeter fill is the percentage of the winding in contact with the dielectric. Use it for coils with dielectric rods, such as Air Dux, ridges, as in some ceramic and phenolic forms, or wound on a polygonal dielectric cage.

Dielectrics
I've added Lexan and cardboard, the latter for your kid's crystal set coil wound on an oatmeal box.

Metals
I've added HTW and XHTW copper.

These references on wet inductors should interest anyone using COIL to design antenna loading coils:

http://www.n3ox.net/tech/coilQ/
https://rudys.typepad.com/files/wet-inductor-tests-1.pdf

Brian