[TowerTalk] Oldest Free Standing Amateur Tower? W4EM, Memphis TN

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Oldest Free Standing Amateur Tower? W4EM, Memphis TN
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 16:05:41 -0500
I collect old QSL cards, most of which date from the early 1920s when card
exchange became popular.  I recently spotted a card that's currently on
eBay.  The card shows the station of W. Wright Mitchell, W4EM, of Memphis TN
and is dated January, 1934.  For those interested, have a look at the
left-most tower on the QSL card.

Next, Google "1455 Peabody Ave, Memphis TN."  Take a peek beyond the trees
at the street intersection.  Incredibly, the tower is still standing, in its
original form 85+ years later.  The tower formed one support of what appears
to be an OCF dipole, fed with open transmission line.   I believe the tower
actually dates to about 1931 based on another card I've seen.  If true, the
tower has been standing almost 90 years.

Paul, W9AC