Re: [TowerTalk] VHF/UHF Transmitting Chokes

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VHF/UHF Transmitting Chokes
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 11:47:34 -0800
A logical question to ask would be:

As an alternative, would it be sufficient to simply
bond the shield of the coax to the boom, such that
there is a free-space 1/4 wavelength of coax
between the driven element and the point of bonding
to the boom?

Also, it is surprising to see #31 cores at 50 MHz,
as opposed to #43 or #61, as Fair-Rite recommends.

I notice that the 6 inch diameter 2 turn loops
have a free space electrical length of exactly
1 radian at 50 MHz.  Is that just a coincidence,
or is that in some sense optimum?  Harold Wheeler
coined the term "radianlength" and noted that
it seems to be magic length where systems transition
from lumped element to distributed elements, etc.

Keep up the good work.

73
Rick N6RK