Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 207, Issue 17 / Yagi Stacking Ord

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 207, Issue 17 / Yagi Stacking Order
From: "Art Greenberg" <art@artg.tv>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 13:42:39 -0400
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020, at 13:14, Lou Laderman wrote:
> All things being equal, and putting your SteppIR in the middle may be best
> as you can home 5e elements and make it “invisible”.

Homing the elements only retracts the conductive ribbon. The fiberglass element
tubes are fixed length, so the wind load does not change. The weight
distribution
probably changes only minimally.

I'm aware that I'd be committing an engineering no-no by stacking two 6 square
foot
antennas on this tower. The wind load spec is 12 square feet at 100mph in a gust
(I don't recall if its 3 or 6 seconds). Of course, that's for the entire wind
load just
a short distance above the top plate, as another respondent pointed out. If I
do this,
I'd be committing myself to lower the tower when its not in use to avoid the
possibility
of it being impacted by strong winds.

Art
WA2LLN