Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for some foundation advice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for some foundation advice
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 06:08:42 -0700
On 5/27/20 9:52 PM, Mal Speer wrote:
About 5yrs ago I put up a TX455. Actually I had it put up by a professional
while I was still living up in NY. My QTH is in NC. When he tried to dig the
hole they couldn't get down more than 4'. Instead of digging a 6' deep by 4'
by4'. They dug a 6' by 6' by 4' deep. I am no engineer, but I don't think that
is just as good. I don't think that it is the weight of the concrete that holds
the tower up I think that it is the amount below ground compared to the amount
above ground. I was pissed when I was told about this. If I was there I would
have gone into the hole with a pick and shovel and dug another 2' into the
solid clay we have here. I have to say though the tower has been through a few
pretty good storms and one hurricane with no ill effects.

The base serves to prevent the tower from tipping over. There's two factors that get in here: One is the weight of the base - the tower is a lever trying to tilt the base, so a heavier base requires more force to tip it. (tipping over a wine bottle vs tipping over a plate laying flat on the table)

The other is the bearing area on the soil, which is more a function of surface area - as the base tries to tip, the top of the side in the direction of the tip is pushing against the soil, the bottom of the side away from the tip is pushing. And, if the base has large area, the bottom is pushing on the soil.

Narrow deep caissons (and telephone poles) depend on the bearing area and soil strength, like a straw standing in a thick milkshake

I suspect your 4 foot deep by 6by 6 foot (140 cubic feet) is probably a better base than what you thought you wanted 6 feet deep by 4x4 feet (96 cubic feet). Not only is it 45% heavier, but the lever arm is 50% longer, so the overturning moment (as if the base were a block sitting on the table) is significantly higher.

There are interesting bases that look like a big flat X with two crossing long beams.

If you do have a dense hard layer of clay, that might even help, since now you have a larger area to push on it (3x6 feet), although bases in soils and forces are not something I'm very knowledgeable about.